In the last post, I talked about why I think we should be concerned about multiplication and shared a little of what we’ve seen over the past decade. Here I would like to highlight some of the barriers and obstacles we can face towards multiplication. 90% of the battle when dealing with an obstacle is recognising it and naming it for what it is.
- Pride and shadow visions. Our personal ambitions become too big and distract us from the our actual calling. Wrong motives curtail effective and fruitful ministry. Pride comes before fall.
- Pride, false humility and an unwillingness to step out in faith. The belief that the task is too big is a form of pride even though it looks like humility. I am learning to believe that the vision depends on me and not on God/
- Love of drama. We often lose our way because we get involved in division and dissent. We are so desperate for high drama that we create it rather than enjoying the high drama of the Gospel itself.
- Failing to let go. A few years back, the UK had some fantastic athletes in the relay team, man for man they were probably fitter, faster and stronger than their opponents. They were dead certs for medals, potentially golds. Yet they would come back from the Olympics empty handed. Why? The answer was not that they got beaten fair and square but for some reason, perhaps nerves, they messed up the baton handover and got disqualified. I sometimes see Christians who are brilliant at kicking off new ministries and starting to encourage others but they simply do not know how to let go of a ministry or a trainee and that’s how they end of distracted and exhausted. We need to get better at handing on the baton.
- We are not Tsunami proof. Or specifically in this era we are not pandemic proof. I believe that of a wonderful 10 years was not unique others were seeing the same. But I also think that many churches, networks and movements are struggling right now because we were not ready for what hit in 2020. We need churches, networks and movements that are resilient and able to face the Tsunami, the pandemic, the persecution when it comes
This isn’t meant to be an exhaustive list but hopefully it will be helpful and encourage conversation. Where are you finding obstacles to multiplication?