Faithroots Live: Discipline, Punishment and the Coronavirus
Here are the seminar outline notes for our Faithroots Live session coming up at 2pm. Feel free to use these to add your own notes
- We rightly stop to ask “What is God doing in this?”
- The challenge of current issues in the world and The Church
B. Big Picture – What the Bible says about justice and judgement
- A good world but fallen. Humans under the judgement of death.
- All Creation groans (Romans 8:18-24)
Genesis 6 – 9
- Flood and Rainbow
- Blessing or curse and the covenant
- Judgement prophesied
- Judgement in the Gospels
- Final judgement and the Lake of Fire
C. Specific Punishment in the Bible
- David and the plague
- What about 1 Corinthians 11?
D. God’s Discipline
1 Corinthians 5
- Through Church Discipline
- – Through Circumstances
- Disaster and tragedy
- The man born blind
F. So … How are we to view the current situation
- General Judgement but not specific
- Cause and effect
- We become like our idols
G. If not specific judgement … then what? (Conclusion)
Questions for discussion and Reflection
1. How would you counsel someone who has lost a relative to coronavirus and has been told by another Christian that it was God’s judgement
2. In what ways might the behaviours of society act as causal links to a pandemic crisis like this?
3. In what ways might the culture of The Church have exacerbated the suffering experienced?
4. In what ways is this crisis acting to teach/discipline God’s people?
5. What has God been teaching you through the pandemic? How are you growing? What will you do differently even after the pandemic as a result?