This week’s podcast is based on a sermon I preached recently for our church. Here’s my outline notes.
- What does it mean to live in God’s presence – to please him?
- Grace came first last week – a good thing.
- Law – we are going to trace a theme through the whole Bible story line – a bit like Jonny did when looking at The Holy Spirit.
- First ever command –“Don’t eat from the tree” – context God’s grace and blessing -creation and provision and protection – the Garden
- Noah -Grace means he is rescued through the Flood and blessed with a covenant sign (The rainbow). As with Eden there is food provided but a boundary/limit because he may not eat meat with blood in it (Genesis 9)
- God calls a people for himself (Abraham Gen 12) – blessing/promise (grace)
- Egypt – slavery/death à Rescue through Moses = grace again. The Law given at Sinai
Types of Law?
- It’s about being loved by the one true living God and loving him back
- We are meant to inhabit/be saturated in God’s Word
- Teach your children
- Inability to keep commands. The problem isn’t the Law -it’s us
- Think about laws/rules under despotic regimes used to suppress/enslave.
- God’s good law is used against us by Satan to condemn and to bind (outside of Christ we are in his kingdom/under his reign)
- That’s why we need Jesus/The Gospel
- A new law on our hearts -the work of the Spirit (Matthew 5) not just external law keeping -changed hearts and minds
What difference will this make for us?
- WE cannot be God pleasers without the Gospel
- Christian life – we need a deep work in our hearts
Where do you need God to work in your heart to give you more grace and love?
You can watch here:
Or listen here
How do we take communion? – Faithroots
How to organise and approach sharing the Lord's Supper together